Shipped to Baltimore by the Mathews Company as a display model, Isabel was purchased by the donor’s parents in 1926 and remained in the same family for nearly 70 years. As a show boat, Isabel came equipped not only with gear such as anchors and life rings, but completely outfitted with monogrammed china, linen, and silver.
Owners Tom and Eleanor Requardt did much of the maintenance themselves, adding fresh coats of varnish every season. In the early 1970s, they were among the founders of the Classic Yacht Club of America, a group of like-minded owners of older boats. Except for a new diesel engine, the boat retains most of its original equipment and fittings.
Built: 1926, Port Clinton, OH, by the Mathews Company
Length: 38 ft (11.58 m)
Beam: 11 ft (3.35 m)
Isabel, trunk cabin power cruiser, 1926. Collection of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, St. Michaels, MD. Gift of J. Thomas and Eleanor F. Requardt.
Donations to the Annual Fund generously support the maintenance of Isabel, as well as our other restoration, education, and exhibition programs.