Donations to the Annual Fund generously support the maintenance of our log canoes, as well as our other restoration, education, and exhibition programs.
Edmeé S., originally named Cecelia Mae, was built in the early 1930s by Oliver Duke of Royal Oak, Maryland, who built several other racing log canoes in the 1930s and 1940s. She raced only a few times and was later used as a boatyard workboat. In 1980 she was returned to racing condition and her new owner William Combs, renamed her for his wife, Edmeé Schaefer Combs.
Flying Cloud dominated the log canoe races in the 1930s. Constructed in 1932 by celebrated Tilghman Island boat builder John B. Harrison, and to the same design as the 1931 log canoe Jay Dee, Flying Cloud is fashioned from five yellow pine logs. Owner Johnson Grymes outfitted his crew in white uniforms. After Grymes’ death, Flying Cloud retired from racing. Her next owner, Fred Kaiser of Hampton, Virginia, added a cabin and used her for cruising, and she retained the cabin when he sold the boat to artist John A. Noble of Staten Island, New York in 1955.
Adapting the lines from an 1893 Robert D. Lambdin canoe in the museum’s collection, CBMM shipwrights, apprentices, and volunteers began working on the new, sailing log canoe in the fall of 2014. The hull has been constructed from three, 26-foot local loblolly pine logs, with the canoe and its spars constructed in full public view. “This is the first log canoe to be built since 1979, when Tenaceous [sic] joined the fleet,” said CBMM Chief Curator Pete Lesher. “Bufflehead will be a great addition to the fleet, and we’re proud of the craftsmanship and skills put into creating her.”