Collections > Historic
Five historic buildings are original to the Museum site and are included in the St. Michaels National Register District:
- c. 1890 Eagle House, once the home of a steamboat captain
- c. 1860 Dodson House, transformed into a waterfront guest house in 1886 with an unusual three-story porch
- c. 1860 Higgins House, a modest frame house with an elegant double porch
- c. 1875 Webb House, houses the Museum Store, but originally built for the owner of a sawmill and later housed African American entrepreneur William H.T. Coulbourne of Coulbourne & Jewett seafood packing house located on Navy Point
- a 1933 cannery warehouse built on pilings along the waterfront, which was constructed from pieces of an earlier steamboat/railroad terminal.
Other structures were moved to the site including:
- 1888 Point Lookout fog bell tower
- 1879 Hooper Strait Lighthouse, one of only three surviving Chesapeake Bay cottage-style lighthouses.
- Mitchell house (c. 1840) , a small cottage once owned by free black Peter Mitchell and Eliza Bailey Mitchell, sister to Frederick Douglass
- c. 1880 Tolchester Beach Bandstand
Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum
213 N. Talbot St.
P.O. Box 636
St. Michaels, MD 21663
Add yourself to our email list here: