Once the home of retired steamboat captain Edward Napoleon Dodson, Eagle House is named for the entry tower that is capped by an eagle—a replica of the carving that stood there for years. The gold leafed eagle likely started life ornamenting the top of a steamboat or tugboat pilot house, and around 1907 it was removed from the vessel and placed on this house. Read more about the Eagle House here.