The Miller’s House was built for S. Sutliff, owner of the steam sawmill that stood just to the north on Navy Point. When the next miller, Miers R. Richards, retired in the early 20th century, he sold the property to William H.T. Coulbourne, a Black entrepreneur and partner in the seafood packing firm, Coulbourne & Jewett, which operated from 1902 to 1962. Coulbourne & Jewett was at one time the largest seafood packer in St. Michaels and one of the earliest to specialize in crabmeat. The third floor of the house had several small rooms that were rented to seasonal workers. Today the house serves as the Museum Store.